Nothing screams summer like pineapple. It is the taste of summer. Think tropical drinks and desserts (like these beautiful and easy to make Pina Colada cupcakes). Think juicy chunks of pineapple skewered with chicken and sweet peppers on the BBQ. And my all time favorite way to serve and eat pineapple – grilled.
There is just something irresistible about grilled pineapple. That slightly caramelized, extra sweet pineapple flavour just can’t be beat. It’s perfect all on it’s own but I also love incorporating it into other summer dishes. And these Grilled Pineapple, Prosciutto and Goat Cheese Crostinis are the perfect summer backyard party appetizer. Salty and sweet, crispy and creamy. They hit all the right notes.
You’ll notice in this recipe I don’t give exact measurements (except for the reduction) because you can really make as few or as many of these decadent little bites as you need. I just made up a half dozen to test the recipe but these went so fast that next time I will probably use a whole baguette!
- 1 cup of balsamic vinegar
- 1 can of Dole pineapple slices drained (keep the juice for the reduction)
- 1 baguette sliced
- Goat cheese (about 1 teaspoon per crostini)
- Baby or micro greens
- Olive oil
- To make the reduction combine the balsamic vinegar and 3 tablespoons of the reserved pineapple juice in a small pot.
- Cook on medium high heat until it comes to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and continued to cook, stirring often, until the mixture thickens and is reduced to about half of what you started with.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat your grill to medium heat.
- Brush both sides of your bread slices and the pineapple slices lightly with olive oil (once slice of pineapple will make 2 crostinis).
- Place on grill and cook (turning half way through) until the bread is slightly toasted and the pineapple is nicely browned.
- Remove from the grill.
- Spread a generous amount of goat cheese on each piece of toasted bread.
- Add a couple of small greens.
- Next add some prosciutto and a half of a slice of grilled pineapple.
- Drizzle with the balsamic reduction.
- Serve right away.