The weather outside is frightful. Truly it is. I could have skated to work this morning! And, although I could live without the slippery streets the wintry weather has kick started me into holiday mode. My daughter and I put a few decorations up this week, I’ve got a good start on my shopping and now I’m starting to think about all of the baking and cooking (and eating) that’s still to come! Food is such a central part of our celebrations. For me, treating my friends and family to delicious food is every bit as important as the gifts I put under the tree.
If you’re anything like me you probably put a lot of time and effort into cooking this time of year. Whether it’s for an office potluck, whipping up finger food to take to a friend’s party, or the full out turkey dinner with all the trimmings, it seems like the cooking doesn’t stop during the holidays. And as much I I love to cook, and I really do, I also want to spend time with my friends and family and not be stuck in the kitchen the entire holiday!
Entertain With Turkey
I think most of us think about turkey when we think about our holiday meal. Crispy, juicy, tender and oh so tasty. That traditional turkey dinner is so familiar, so comforting to many of us. It is the pinnacle of the holiday feast! And everything you need to know about roasting the perfect Canadian Turkey – from figuring out what size you need right through to how to carve it – you can find at the whole bird how to section on the Canadian Turkey website.
So, we know turkey can be the star of the show, but it’s far too good, healthy, easy and versatile to just be on your menu for one night during the holidays.
Make Turkey The Star Of Your Holiday Season
- Save precious cooking time and have more fun entertaining by preparing a meal using a variety of turkey cuts instead of a whole turkey. You can customize your meal based on your guests’ preferences easily by serving more dark or more white turkey, and cut your cooking time in half or less.
- Make turkey your own way! Experiment with different flavours, spice rubs, herbs, stuffings and glazes to create your own signature meal. Turkey pairs well with different flavor profiles so feel free to get creative.
- Sub ground turkey into any of your favourite ground chicken, ground pork or ground beef recipes. Turkey is versatile, juicy and packed with flavor, making it a great entertaining go-to ingredient.
- Get your guests involved by hosting a potluck. You provide the crowd pleasing main dish, like a whole roasted turkey, and then have your guests bring a selection of appetizers, salads and desserts. Guests love to contribute and this will help take the heat off of you!
- Experiment with something other than a formal sit down. A buffet-style meal encourages snacking throughout the night, mingling while guests eat and chat, and allows for a more social and relaxed feel. Choose foods that taste great at room temperature, like a stuffed turkey breast or turkey casserole.
- Use turkey sausage for lighter versions of traditional sausage rolls, mini flatbreads, crostini, pasta salad dishes and puff pastry appetizers. It’s a tasty way to cut calories while still packing a big flavor punch.
- Consider building your party around a series of appetizers. There are many recipes that can be made ahead of time, like our Turkey, Cranberry and Goat Cheese Party Bites. Finger foods also mean using less dishes and cutlery, saving time when it comes to clean up.
For some more great holiday entertaining tips and some mouth watering recipes take a look at the Canadian Turkey Holiday Entertaining Guide.
I know that these Turkey, Cranberry and Goat Cheese Party Bites are going to be on my holiday menu this year. They are so pretty and sound delicious! Be sure to download the Entertaining Guide to get the recipe!
Bookmark canadianturkey.ca to discover everything you need to plan and cook the perfect celebration meal. The site is packed with tips, techniques and recipe inspiration. With a library of step-by-step information they can help you make a turkey for the first time, or perfect all the details of your holiday meal if you’re an experienced cook. The recipes section is packed with amazing recipes for main dishes and appetizers, and a gold mine of ideas for your holiday leftovers!
Enter to Win
To help get you into the holiday spirit I am thrilled to be able to offer you a great giveaway (thanks to Canadian Turkey) for my readers. One of you is going to win a $75 Amazon e-card! The giveaway is open to Canadian residents (except Quebec) age 18 and over. Good luck and Happy Holidays from our home to yours!!