When I was given the opportunity to review the Little Tikes 5 in 1 Deluxe Ride & Relax Recliner Trike I had mixed emotions. Why? Because I think this trike is really, really cool but my daughter is a little too old for it. Luckily I do have friends with little ones and so I asked one of them, Melanie, to help me out with this review. Melanie is a mother to four kids age 6, 4, 2 and 14 months. With two kids that are the perfect age for this trike her family was a great fit. Also, getting the honest thoughts of a mom with so much experience is a huge bonus!
Before we get to Melanie and company’s low down on the trike I’d like to share a few highlights of this cool contraption with you.
As the name suggests, the 5 in 1 trike has five stages that let you adapt the trike for use from 9 months all the way up to 30 months:
- Stage 1-Recline (9+ months) Parents have 3 positions to recline their tired tikes for a safe, comfortable ride.
- Stage 2-Stroll (9+ months) Parents to push and control-When the foot platform is installed, the child will be unable to reach the pedals.
- Stage 3-Pedal (18+ months) Toddlers can learn how to pedal, child is unable to turn the wheel
- Stage 4-Learn (24+ months) Remove the waist bar, child can now steer while parent still has control with the push bar.
- Stage 5-Trike (30+ months) Remove the push bar to let kids go on their own with parent supervision.
Some of the other features on the trike that parents will appreciate:
- 3-position reclining seatback
- Soft seat cover for comfort
- Full shade canopy to protect child from all angles – I personally love this feature
- Adjustable seat with the flip of a switch
- Adjustable push handle – Melanie mentioned that this was a great bonus for her 6’2″ husband!
- A parking break for added safety
- A 5 point safety harness
- A tray with a beverage holder for the parents and a storage bucket for all that stuff you know you need on an outing.
- A removable, machine washable, padded seat cover – A feature every parent can appreciate!
Here’s what Melanie had to say about the Little Tikes 5 in 1 Deluxe Ride & Relax Recliner Trike:
Set up out of the box:
Setting the trike up for the first time was relatively easy. It only took about an hour and the instructions were pretty clear for the most part. There were a few “vague” parts but I managed to get it all figured out and together without much trouble.
Switching the stages:
I found it fairly simple to change the trike into the different styles. Removing the foot platform, push bar, etc was a breeze.
Ease of use:
Pushing the trike was very easy. In the past I’ve tried other similiar products and found them to be hard on my back. But this trike was really similiar to pushing a regular stroller. It also handles nicely through turns.
I haven’t let my two year old use the pedals yet so I don’t know how that will impact the smooth turning. He loves it though, especially with older siblings who are biking now. Makes him feel like he’s keeping up with them. He was so not happy when I put my 14 month old in it!
As much as the two year old didn’t want to give up his seat, our youngest loved it! He did very well, especially when you consider that he has hypotonia (low muscle tone). The straps and the safety bar definitely made a difference and he really enjoyed being able to hold the handle bars.
This trike has a lot of really great features and I love that because it can be switched up so much it’s something can be used for more than just one stage in a child’s development and size (we all know how fast they grow!). The only feature that was a bit odd was the cup holders for the person pushing – the bar twists when you make larger turns and tips the tray.
I think this is definitely something we will get a lot of use out of and I think we’ll try taking the foot rest off so that my two year old can practice with the pedals. My older two have been slow to learning how to bike so I’m hoping that maybe this will help the younger two catch on sooner so we can go for family bike rides some day!
You can find the Little Tikes 5-in-1 Deluxe Ride & Relax Recliner Trike at Toys R Us for $169.99
Disclaimer: Melanie was provided with this products in order to bring you this review. All opinions expressed here (hers and mine) are genuine.