There is just something about bread pudding that is so special. It’s so warm and creamy and perfect for fall and winter. I love the pudding quality is has without being too custard like. And when you add in things like apples and almonds, along with hearty bread – well the texture is divine. And not only is it a delicious treat but this recipe is actually quite healthy. The pudding itself contains no sugar and is made with whole grain bread, eggs and unsweetened Almond Breeze Vanilla Almond Milk. Now the sauce contains both butter and sugar (you can’t have bread pudding sauce without it) but you can use as much or as little as you’d like!
- 230 grams of bread cut into 2 inch pieces (roughly 5 loose cups of cubes if you don't have a scale)
- 2 cups of plain or vanilla unsweetened Almond Breeze almond milk
- 2 individual containers (or 1 cup) of unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- ½ teaspoon of cinnamon
- 2 crisp red apples diced (you can leave the peel on)
- ⅓ cup of whole almonds (skin on)
- 2 cups of apple juice
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- ½ cup of butter
- ¾ cup of plain or vanilla unsweetened Almond Breeze almond milk
- 1 tablespoon of spiced rum (optional)
- I used a very hearty whole grain and flax bread for this recipe. The texture and flavour was amazing
- Cut the bread into two inch cubes.
- In a large bowl mix together the almond milk, eggs, apple sauce and cinnamon. Stir until well combined.
- Mix in bread cubes, diced apple and almonds.
- Pour into a baking dish and set in the fridge for an hour to let the bread soak up the liquid.
- After an hour transfer the baking dish to an oven that has been preheated to 350.
- Cook for about 40 minutes or until the bread on top is nice and crispy.
- Pour the apple juice into a small sauce pan and cook over medium high heat until it cooks down to about ¼ cup of juice.
- Add the brown sugar. Do not stir but gently swirl the pot to mix.
- Let the mixture come to a boil and, swirling occasionally, cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the butter.
- Let the mixture come to a boil again while the butter melts.
- Remove from heat and stir in the almond milk and the rum (if desired).
- Scoop the pudding into individual bowls and top with the desired amount of syrup.
This is the first time I’ve made bread pudding with Almond Breeze and, wow, I won’t be going back. And if you have never had bread pudding or maybe are on the fence about it I urge you to try this recipe. It will make you a bread pudding lover. And because the milk in the pudding, as well as the cream in the sauce, has been replaced with almond milk it’s a perfect treat for those that have dairy or lactose issues (just replace the butter in the sauce with margarine or even coconut oil).
Almond Breeze has a full line up of products. Whether you are cooking up a recipe or just like to drink it straight up there is the perfect product for everyone. You can check it all out on their website.
Disclaimer: I am part of the #CoolerWithAlmondBreeze campaign with Almond Breeze and have received perks as part of this program. All recipes and opinions are my own.