I have to admit I’m not a huge fan of kale. A while back I made some kale chips and, well, I wasn’t impressed. However, dressed properly kale is actually pretty tasty in a salad. This Asian inspired kale salad, made with some help from some awesome Blue Dragon products, was a hit at our East meets West Chinese New Year celebration.
Asian Inspired Kale Citrus Salad
For the salad:
- 3 cups of kale, chopped
- 1/2 cup of sliced cucumber
- 1 mandarin orange peeled and segmented
- 1/4 cup of pumpkin seeds (of your favorite seeds)
- 8 shrimp (optional)
- 1 tablespoon of sesame oil
- About 2 cups of cooked rice noodles
For the dressing:
- The juice of a 1/2 a lemon
- 2 teaspoons of sesame oil
- 1/2 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon of rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of honey
Cook the rice noodles according to the package directions. Rinse well with cool water (to prevent sticking) and set aside.
Pan fry the shrimp in the sesame oil using medium high heat until cooked. I actually used cooked shrimp so I only had to fry them for a few minutes. If you are using raw shrimp cook for about 4 minutes on each side.
Put all of the dressing ingredients in a small jar and shake well to combine.
Put the kale in a salad bowl and toss well with the dressing. Add the oranges, cucumbers, pumpkin seeds and shrimp.
Serve the salad over a bed of rice noodles.