Braised Short Ribs
- 1 package of beef short ribs (5 or 6 ribs)
- salt & pepper
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil (approximately)
- 1/2 large onion chopped
- 2 carrots chopped
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 2 cups of red wine
- 3-4 cups of reduced sodium beef stock or broth (enough to cover ribs)
Heat oil over medium-high heat in a dutch oven or other oven proof pan. Season the ribs with salt and pepper, place in pan and brown on each side. You may have to do this in a couple of batches depending on the size of your pan. If you need more oil add as necessary.
Add the ribs back to the pan as well as the red wine. Bring to a boil and then immediately turn heat to medium and simmer until the wine is reduced by half, approximately 20-30 minutes. Add the Rosemary and Thyme to the pan. If you have sprigs use 1 sprig of each. If you are using dry herbs use about 1 tsp of each. Use more or less depending on what you like.
Add enough of your beef stock/broth to cover the ribs. Cover, put in the oven and cook until the ribs are tender (approximately 2 to 2 1/2 hours).
Beet & Bacon Salad
- 1 medium beet (about the size of a large apple) baked (see directions below)
- 3 strips of bacon cooked until just crisp and cut into bite size pieces
- 2 tablespoons of crumbled goat cheese
- 3 cups of field greens or baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of apple juice
Cut greens from beet, wash and dry. Rub lightly with olive oil and wrap in foil. Cook in oven until you can easily insert a knife into the center with no resistance (about 45-60 minutes). Remove from oven, carefully open foil and let the beet cool enough to handle with your hands.
Once the beet is cooled enough peel the skin off and slice the beet into thick slices and cut the slices in half. Put the salad greens into a serving bowl and top with beets. Add the goat cheese and bacon and toss with the dressing. Serve while the beets are still warm.